Friday, February 10, 2017

the cast is off

What a day!

This morning the power went out, so here are all my gators (gifts from Florida trip) in the dark.

20170210_074128(0)

After 9 weeks and 4 days of Carter being in a body cast (batman and blue) it is time for him and bear to get their casts off. I’ve had the bear Shriners gave him the day of surgery, December 5th, go through the process with him. As a kid hip patient myself, I used to have dolls that needed medical help, I think it helps kids. I also had a stuffed mouse that my grandma Turley gave me for one of my surgeries and I always took it to the hospital with me for comfort. I finally got rid of it sometime after I got married. Anyways, when Carter had surgery over 2 months ago, bear was in a black batman cast, too. And when Carter had a cast change to blue, bear did, too. And now it’s cast removal time and bear went first and then Carter could see what it was like to get his cast off (it was rough last time) and adjust to the loud equipment noise. He happens to have all 3 Arizona Grandparent here, since Marlee’s baptism is tomorrow (we are going non stop around here) and they get to see why we love Shriners.

20170210_11042420170210_110651

They do all the cutting first…

20170210_11091920170210_111329

Then they have these huge tools that go in the cuts they just made and pry open the cast.

20170210_11140320170210_111633

Poor Carter, any part of the inside that isn’t real white, is pee. It’s so nice to be out of that.

20170210_11163520170210_112023

Believe it or not, the first little while being out of a cast is painful. Your body has been in a certain position for so long and you are stiff and in pain, trust me from experience.

20170210_11204020170210_112830

His legs look sooooo long! It’s been almost 10 weeks since I’ve seen them, it’s pretty emotional.

20170210_11330920170210_113437

gotta love all the dead skin

20170210_113526

Dr. Woiczik is amazing. I just love her and what she’s doing for my boy. She was very happy with the x-ray and says this is the best she has seen his hip, great news. And Sydney got an ultra sound today and her hips look good, so after wearing the pavlik harness for 4 1/2 months she is done!

20170210_114512

Carter has been a trooper, the 2nd cast was harder for him than the first and he said everyday that his back hurts. And I could feel where it bumped up weird on the back, I think it made him sore. I’m so thankful to God that we all made it through and with good news.

I didn’t know if Carter would be up for it, but he was, so we went to Hires Big H for lunch.

20170210_124548

A bath after almost 3 months, makes everyone happy.

20170210_16230320170210_213717

No comments: