So on the 16th, just 1 week ago, Carter got his pin taken out and was re-casted by Dr. Vincent in Tucson, AZ. I figured since we now live in Utah I should get Carter started with a doctor here so that he has someone close to do follow ups and as long as everything is going fine, continue with things in Arizona. Plus, I really wanted to have Carter get an x-ray, since his hip has come out previously in a body cast. And thank goodness I followed those mommy instincts of mine, because the orthopedic doctor I saw at Shriner’s today thought his hip seemed a little off on the x-ray, but to be certain we had to head to Primary Children's (only minutes away from Shriners) for a cat scan. The cat scan confirmed that his hip was out, again. And that cat scan right there cost us over $5oo, crazy!
Even though I am so sad that his hip is out again and that it didn’t work, I’m glad we found out now today and not 3 weeks from now when he was scheduled to go back to Tucson, AZ for a cast change. I’m so thankful for that.
So we went to Shriners with a baby in a body cast and he will leave cast free, which is very bittersweet. It’s sad that he’s been casted for so long and been through 2 failed surgeries now. I think his Tucson doctors were very good though, Carter is a tough case. I am sure that the doctor would’ve come up with a great plan to take care of him from this point, but since his hip is out again and we live in Utah, I am just going to have him be seen here, so I’m not traveling so far and since we are starting over again anyways.
Here’s the new plan. The cast will come off for a month or so and they will let Carter gain back some strength and mobility. Then they will likely have to cut his bone because it is tilted wrong (just like mine was) and put it at the correct angle with a plate and screws. Good news- Carter gets to be cast free for awhile and we get to see our precious baby boy’s cute little body again. And it can always be worse…we are blessed that he doesn’t have any life threatening issues. Bad news- He’s gone through a lot already and it didn’t work and now we are starting over, again.
Here he is right before his cast removal.
The cast removal was so sad. The cast cutter (which can’t cut through skin by the way, only the spica cast) is so loud and it vibrates and it scared the heck out of him. It’s hard because I can’t really explain what is happening to him. Poor boy! It’s like he’s looking at me, pleading for me to tell them to stop. This breaks my heart.
This whole cast removal thing brings back memories of me getting my casts off, but I was pretty happy about it, since I was old enough to realize what was going on. It is painful though when you get the cast off because your muscles are all out of whack.
In fact, I’m pretty sure I could just cut my own cast off. I was little miss independent.
Anyways, back to Carter. Once they are done cutting through the cast they use this tool to bust it open.
The ladies gave him a sucker, but he was still pretty sad.
Porter’s holding the front of Carter’s cast.
I love seeing his little body again, but I’m sad that none of his surgeries have been successful, yet. Usually getting the cast off is a happy day, but in this case it’s kind of a bummer.
It broke my heart seeing my baby so sad and going through so much without being fixed.
His legs have blankets underneath them, since his muscles are used to being in that position.
I literally own no pants for this kid, since he can’t wear them with a body cast, so the hospital gave me this pair of shorts for him. It looks like we will have to go shopping for pants now, since the doctor said he will be cast free for a month or two to regain some muscle strength before going through a surgery and casting all over again. This boy is a trooper!
Who knows…maybe Carter asked Santa to be cast free for Christmas and his wish came true.
No comments:
Post a Comment