Wednesday, September 5, 2012

trip to Phoenix

The kids & I went to Phoenix. Laun wanted to go, but another group of cows were coming in for his research project, so he can’t go anywhere too far for awhile. We went because Porter had an Endocrinologist appointment. The doctor wants two test run on Porter to see if he is just a late bloomer or if he needs growth hormones. We won’t know for a bit what the outcome will be. This morning when I came to get the kids up & head home, I found the boys like this: 

038

 

Apparently, I don’t have good luck when traveling home from Phoenix without Laun. Back in May I was coming home form Phoenix when the car decided not to drive over 20 miles an hour or so, on the freeway, just 30 minutes out of Tucson. I had to drive on the side of the freeway going as slow as a turtle, until I could find a pull off. Marlee & I waited in the car for around 2 hours in probably 100 degree weather. Our house was an hour & half away, so we had to wait till Laun hooked up the trailer & drove all that way to get us.

Anyways, today as I am driving home from Phoenix (luckily, I was only around 20 minutes from home this time) & I am traveling at around 78 mph on the freeway, the truck starts shacking like crazy. I wasn’t sure what was going on & then I realized the passenger side front tire blew. It was kind of scary, but luckily I stayed calm & eventually found a spot to pull over. Marlee was pretty shaken up & was crying, while saying, “I want my Daddy". I think the boys were nervous at first, but then it seemed to turn into excitement. I called Laun & he was so proud of me for getting safely off the road. The first thing I said to Laun was, “I should have taken the Tahoe.” I was just glad that we were all okay & not far from home or especially from Laun. He headed right over to rescue us. When I pulled over I noticed this road assistance vehicle behind me. As I got out of the truck he said, “You called me?” I told him no & that I had only called my husband. Then he let me know that my husband must have called him. I told him there was no way my husband called him. I let him know that my husband built this truck & he certainly didn’t need help to put on a new tire. Then doubting me he asked what my husbands name was & realized that my husband really didn’t call him. He left seeming irritated & shortly after Laun arrived.

Notice anything missing in this picture?

044

 

Whatever the black thing is called that goes above the tire was ripped off. Luckily, I mentioned that to Laun, so he found it on the way to come get us.

047

 

Checking out the damage.

055

057

 

A little bit later there was a spare tire on- Man, I love my husband! Do you notice how close that semi is in the background…we were pretty close to the freeway still, but it was my only pull off option.

 

059

 

Laun’s friend Fernando came along, too. I had him hold up the tire, so I could get a picture of the damage.

062

 

Crazy…so glad we are all okay & so glad to see my husband.

063

By now potty break & lunch time were way past due, so McDonalds was our next stop before heading home.

Prayers work; God watched over us today & we all got home safe.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So glad you guys are ok! That is so scary. I don't even know what I would do in that situation.

clever little casa said...

wow that tire looks beat to a pulp!

Manders said...

Wow I am so glad you guys are okay! You are an awesome, strong woman Catherine, but it is so nice to have a husband who will rescue you!! We are lucky!