Friday, September 28, 2012

Kartchner Caverns State Park

The public online school our boys go to (Arizona Connections Academy) had a field trip at Kartchner Caverns in Benson, AZ today. I was excited because I have wanted to go to Kartchner Caverns before we moved from Tucson, plus going with the school made the tickets much cheaper. Once we got there we had plenty of time to walk around before our tour started. The boys (as always) found lots of creatures.

They caught a desert iguana, which they were very happy about since they have never caught one before.

006

009011013

 

They had so much fun roaming around & it was such great weather.

016

 

I love the way this little girl runs.

018

019

 

Everyone that came with the Connections Academy wore a name tag. Marlee’s had to go on her back, otherwise she’d pull it off.

020

 

Some of our neighbors carpooled with us- Sophia (she also does the online school) & Joyce (Sophia’s mom). We had lunch together before the tour began.

021

 

The boys also found a tarantula.

023

026028

029

031

 

Sophia & Marlee had to check out the tarantula, too.

034

036

 

Looking at pictures…

038

 

The boys also found some grasshoppers.

041044

 

There was lots of pretty flowers & plants.

053

 

The bee’s really seemed to like these purple flowers.

063

 

I thought this funnel spider web was cool looking.

055

054056066

067065

058068

 

A stage area (not sure when they use it).

069

 

Marlee was so glad  Sophia went, she loves girl time.

072

073

 

There is a little gift shop & museum area. It tells of the Kartchner brothers experience & how they found the cavern on their property & kept it a secret for 15 years.

075

 

They also show a model of the mountain & how the cavern looks inside. It is pretty cool what is hidden under that mountain.

080081

 

It started raining a little before our tour started.

083

 

No visitors are allowed to take pictures inside the Cavern, so we took one of the kids before the tour started. I love that Marlee is copying Sophia by flexing her muscles.

086

088

 

The rain makes the desert even prettier.

089

 

You go under this ramada to wait for your tour to start & go over rules. Then you ride up a little ways to the Cavern.

090

 

Inside the cavern are many different formations. It is crazy to think that all of it is hidden under the ground. Marlee did so well, I was very impressed. It is darker & humid in there & she stayed near me & didn’t touch anything she shouldn’t. She also talked quietly…which is a big deal. I was so proud of her. Of course the boys did well, but I expected they would. Porter liked it more than Clayton. Clayton didn’t like that you couldn’t touch anything & sometimes found the tour boring (although he did like the tour guide)-ha ha. It was neat though to be under a mountain & see the different formations. I really wish you could take pictures of the inside, oh well. There was also another big room cavern, but there are bats in it, so we couldn’t go in it. It is only open during certain parts of the year, maybe we will go back & see it sometime before we move. We all had a good time today & enjoyed the views & cooler weather.

092

No comments: