Saturday, March 7, 2015

Regional Spelling Bee

Today Porter participated in the Utah Valley Regional Spelling Bee. There was one student per school, so over 60 kids participated! 

cat phone 1420cat phone 1421

Our handsome speller, representing Canyon Elementary in Spanish Fork:

cat phone 1422cat phone 1426cat phone 1425

All the kids went to get a group picture for the newspaper…Porter is in the gray and orange.

Laun phone 656

Porter is behind number 52-

cat phone 1428cat phone 1435

So, a crazy thing happened today at the spelling bee. Porter studied and knew had to spell every word on the lists he was given, but as they were saying the words for the spellers, they hadn’t used a single word from our lists! Porter and I stared at each other like, oh crap! He got the word bonanza, which like I mentioned, wasn’t on his list. He was about to spell it and then he remembered that he has the game bohnanza and there’s an h in it, so he spelled it that way. He got it wrong, since he put an h in it. The funny thing is, the game bohnanza is spelled wrong, with an h! Ah man, cursed game and cursed photographic memory that Porter has, since he could remember the games spelling! His amazing teacher who came and I felt bad, since we felt like we didn’t give Porter a fair chance by having all the lists for him to study. She only sent him home with one packet of words, but I guess awhile back she sent an email and at the bottom attached two additional lists. I never noticed the extra lists. I felt awful, but guess what, stuff like this happens and it’s not the worse mistake to make. Oh well, the good thing is that Porter made it this far to began with and that life lessons are hard, but experiences are valuable. Poor Porter was confident he’d win and was already planning on going to Washington DC, since that is where the winner of this bee is headed! I’m so proud of Porter, he worked so hard. He got sent home with a sweet goodie bag and learned a lot. He is such a determined and motivated kid and I know he will try his best throughout life and go far, he already has.

We celebrated his great achievement by going to lunch at Ruby River Steakhouse.

cat phone 1437cat phone 1438

howdy partners

cat phone 1439

Porter ordered ribs and fries. We sure are proud of our smart boy, who’s already planning on winning next year.

cat phone 1444

No comments: