Thursday, September 10, 2015

Shriners

Carter isn’t suppose to be seen by his Orthopedic Surgeon until October, but Laun and I were pretty sure his left hip came out (dislocated) again. It has dislocated twice before while he was in body casts, so we wanted to be sure everything was ok. They got him in today.

Carter likes the magnetic wall and the wooden cars. Shriners always has free wooden cars and other things like books, blankets or toys. I think Carter has taken home a wooden car each visit, so he has a large collection.

cat phone 016cat phone 018

Porter begged me to get him out of school early, so he wouldn’t miss going to Shriners. I could pretend it’s because he’s so worried about Carter and wants to be there for moral support, but really he wants to play Wii or use the great rec center. On the drive here I told Porter I was so nervous about Carter’s hip that I felt physically ill, so he said, “then don’t think about it.” Wise advice from my 11 year old, reminds me of something my mother would say to me.

cat phone 023

Carter hates getting x-rays, but take it from a lady I know (myself), that is the least painful part of hip issues.

cat phone 026

Carter is content as can be…

cat phone 027

…and then the doctor comes in.

He wants nothing to do with her, even though they should be besties. I can’t say I blame him though, he does often wake up around her in body casts. She’s one of my favorite people, she’s helping my baby!

cat phone 029cat phone 030

She then told me the great news. Not only is his left hip still in, it looks better than it ever has! What?! Maybe Laun and I aren’t used to feeling a good hip, haha. She told me to just quit touching his hip; I’m probably just making all of us paranoid anyways! It was so much looser than normal, but she said that is good and normal for it to loosen up over time. It was so tight before because it has been casted so long. Also, before his blood wasn’t flowing properly, so the hips weren’t growing. Now it is good and the bones are growing!! And his left side is finally starting to look like it has a socket! She wont know about the lack of cartilage issue until his next surgery. He still needs to wear the hip brace at night time until his next appointment in January. In January we will see if the hardware needs to be removed from his left hip and we will see if the right side needs the same procedure done. He also might need a surgery on his sockets in the future. I’m feeling so relieved. God has answered our prayers. I’m driving home in peace. My heart is happy.

The top x-ray is from February, before she operated and the lower one is from today, good progress.

cat phone 134

Goodbye Shriners, until January!

cat phone 035

We met Laun on the way home for dinner.

No comments: