Saturday, October 6, 2012

cutting wood

I love Saturdays & being in the outdoors with my family.

Today we went to Vail to cut some oak trees down. Laun is cooking our pig in the smoker tonight, so we need plenty of wood. This lady wanted the dead oak trees off her property, so we got to cut all wood we wanted for free. I am sure we will be going back for more someday.

The drive up- 

181 

182

185

193

 

What do you know…the boys caught a snake. I love how cautious Porter looks in this picture.

195

 

Clayton went in for the catch, he pinned the head down since the snake was hissing at him & picked it up.

196197

199

 

It was a huge gopher snake.

201

 

We let the boys ride in the back with the snake for a bit & then told them they had to let it go.

203

 

It was a beautiful snake though.

208

 

The kids love when we drive on dirt roads. We let them unbuckle & the boys like to ride in the back. Marlee likes to help Laun drive, sit on my lap or sit in the front middle seat (the big kid seat).

206212218221226

 

I spy Clayton & Porter.

232235

 

Off to explore-

238

 

Cutest kids ever

245

 

Crazy bugs everywhere

250

 

The girls

255256

259

 

This is the “road” we took to get back to the trees.

261

 

One of the dead oak trees was awesome. It had a swing & a heart carved into it, pretty much perfect.

263

266

270

274

 

Laun got to work cutting wood.

277

 

As I tried out the swing. I think Laun should make one of these swings..Christmas is coming up:)

279288

 

Right away the boys found a scorpion.    

306

 

This is one of the creatures they are not allowed to catch.

308

 

Marlee had to stop for a pee break. I’ve learned from bad past experiences & knew that all had to come off in order to keep her dry- ha ha! No worries, we were basically in the middle of no where.

309

 

I heart this tree: swing & carved heart

310375

312315

 

As Laun was putting wood in the truck this little guy climbed up his arm.

319

 

I can’t decide what view is best of Laun, they are all just so good.

321

 

Porter & Clayton loved exploring all morning.      

322

 

Laun worked & worked.

324

 

The boys might not realize how lucky they are to have each other. They have so much fun together, when they aren’t fighting.

326

 

Laun started cutting down the not so cool tree first.

335

353357

 

Then he taught Clayton how to chop wood.

366

 

It was hard, but Clayton worked at it, until he got stung by a wasp.

389

 

Some of the bark came off & the swirly wood underneath was so cool looking

405411

 

Laun was nice enough to keep one piece of wood that could possibly become a shelf, even though it was a pain to carry.

409

 

The kids helped out, too. Marlee really just ended up putting in some tree bark:) 

412413415432

 

Marlee & Porter kicked it in the truck for awhile & watched bugs fly by.

436438

 

Some of the wood was hallow in the center.

446

 

The bed of the truck started to fill up.

449

 

We helped out Laun some until he chucked a piece of wood  & a scorpion flew out. Since we only had one pair of gloves, Laun thought it was best that we didn’t help him anymore. Which was smart, because it wasn’t the last scorpion he found.

461466

 

We had plenty to do though.

How many people can fit on one swing?         

478487507

 

floating spider web-

513

 

I felt bad that we all relaxed while Laun worked so hard, but I am sure he is use to that.

535

 

The boys had fun getting grasshoppers with the blow dart gun.

541

 

Marlee didn’t want to look at the camera, until I told her not to & then of course she did. Such a turd.

569571

 

Marlee wanted to take some pictures, so I handed the camera over to her. She snapped this one of me on the swing. I hope all my kids love to take pictures & that I pass on that love to them.

578

 

The truck is getting fuller.

596

 

The amount of grasshoppers were getting fewer.   

606

 

Marlee loved swinging away. I really think our olive tree needs a swing!

618590

 

Porter got in on snatching grasshoppers, too.

621

637

 

Laun starting cutting on the cool tree.

644

 

love these three

652

 

Marlee was tired & decided she needed to take a break in the truck.

662

 

Laun is like the energizer bunny- he just keeps going & going.         

649672

676

688

 

It took him less than a couple hours to get a full load of wood. The good thing is the swing & heart made it through…at least for this round.

691

 

Such a pretty drive-   

696

 

We stopped at the drive through for lunch. Man, I forgot how good IN-N-OUT is. Marlee will rarely eat a hamburger & she hammered.

701702704

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

That swing is so cool. I hope you get one for Christmas. I would be so scared of that snake. It looked huge. I don't think your boys are afraid of anything.