Saturday, August 18, 2012

Are you aching for some bacon? {We are}

We took the lovely ride to Sonoita. We went to pick up some pigs, yup, pigs (gotta love craigslist).

Once we got there the kids found plenty of caterpillars.

Notice the tiny caterpillar on Marlee’s shirt (look at the word blue, it is on the u) & the fuzzy one on Porter’s shirt.

001

002

 

I guess Marlee is really getting over her bug phobia (I’ve recently even heard her call a grub cute).

003

 

Clayton also liked the fuzzy caterpillars.

017

 

Enough about creepy crawlers, lets get to the pigs.

Laun was wanting some pigs, so we could eventually butcher one & maybe sell the other one when they get bigger.

His friend Fernando decided to come along for the fun, good thing because this adventure took a group effort.

Fernando & Laun chased around the pigs & then Laun roped them. I had the easy part, when Laun came carrying a pig, my job was to open the door of the camper shell, so Laun could put them in the bed of the truck.

First pig roped:

004

 

Laun roped the first pig so fast that I didn’t get the chance to take many pictures.

006

007

 

The second pig took a little longer to get (I think they weren’t so naïve anymore).

009

010

011

 

Second pig roped:

012

 

This pig moved its head back & forth so fast that it ended up with the rope just around the snout.

Once they got the pig over the fence it got completely loose & they had to catch it again, luckily it didn’t take long.

013

 

Notice the white stuff in Laun’s ears- he was smart to plug his ears, those pigs were so loud!

014

 

Two pigs loaded:

015

 

I love this drive-everything is so green. And to think, this is so close to Tucson!

018

 

This isn’t a great picture, it is from the truck with the window up, but I love the green hills.

019

 

We stopped at one of the few places in town to gas up & get some snacks.

020

021023

025027

 

Love Porter’s eyelashes, so dreamy.

031032

 

The pigs new home (no, it isn’t our house)- Laun’s work (the UofA farm).

033

037

039

 

They were turning pink & stressed out from their trip, so Laun hosed them off.

041

 

Laun also gave them a treat, milk popsicles. He had frozen cow milk earlier in pop bottles.

043

I tell you, there doesn’t ever seem to be a dull moment with Laun.

Marlee isn’t too happy about eating the pig or pigs in the future, but she does love bacon.

1 comment:

Manders said...

Your hubby is very talented! I love how you guys try all sorts of different things : )