Thursday, August 30, 2012

a trip to the Desert Sonoran Museum with Yao & Yuan

Yao goes back to China in September (he’s been here as a student for a year), so his wife Yuan came out to visit for a couple weeks & fly back home with him. They were only married for 6 days when Yao came to the USA for school!
They wanted to see the Desert Sonoran Museum, so I took them (Yao just barely got a drivers license & doesn’t feel that comfortable driving yet & doesn’t have a car). The boys came along, too.
The best part was when we went in to see different amphibians, reptiles, insects, etc., Yao didn’t realize they were real at first. I told him that they were all real & alive…to which he replied,” I thought they were just examples.” I thought that was pretty funny, after that he was even more impressed with the wildlife he saw.
003

Porter isn’t like most people, he will jump at the chance to touch a snake whenever he can. Here he is touching a Rosie boa. He wanted to hold the snake, but the lady said he could only pet it.
004

I’m pretty sure I know what Porter is thinking right now…”Man, I wish I could catch that snake.”
005

This snake blended in so well with the rock- reminds me of cookies & cream.
006

These frogs were so cute, but they looked fake to me. Their coloring is so pretty.
008

Yao & Yuan-
011

Yuan liked to do bunny ears or peace signs in almost every picture.
013

Marlee was at preschool, so it was just the boys & I. I love how far Porter has to stretch his arm to reach Clayton’s shoulder.
015

The boys always love going in the cave.
016

There were a lot of creepy spiders around.
018

My what big ears you have.
019020

I always love looking at the rocks/minerals.
023028
030025

Porter showing Yuan a rock.
034

There was this massive spiny tailed Iguana (had to ask Porter what it was called) that wasn’t in a cage, it was just roaming around on the rock wall.
040
The boys were making a plan on how to catch it when one of the staff members walked by. She started asking the boys questions, to see if they knew what type of reptile it was. I think she was surprised when they started going on & on about their reptile knowledge. That lady just opened a can of worms…they won’t stop talking if they have an audience.
039

The mountain lion & bear were being lazy- I don’t blame them, it was kind of hot.
043045

Holy cow I love my boys.
056

The boys got super excited to see a coach whip snake slithering around. They started going for it until I reminded them that the sign says please stay on pathways. I sometimes think they view me as the party pooper. I think they make Yao nervous when they try to catch the wildlife.
057

Cute little owl
059

This bird looked like it was doing Pilates. It is so strange to me when they stand on one leg.
062

I love the ground hogs, I think they are so cute.
064072

So many cactus flowers were in bloom.
085086
113087

I’ve never seen a tree with flowers like this before.
112

Yao treated everyone to ice cream. I swear he can never say no when the kids want something.
089

Big horn sheep
095098

I love how the beavers tail looks- I was bummed they weren’t swimming.   
101

102

Corn anyone?
110

My favorite picture of the day…Yuan taking a picture of a humming bird.
128

Porter was making this goofy face because the hummingbirds kept flying by him & their wings make such a loud noise. The hummingbirds were freakishly aggressive today, they kept flying towards us.
123

The humming bird flying towards the boys.
132

What a shocker- the boys even tried to catch the humming birds.
134

I love when they sit still for a couple seconds, so I can take some pictures (and I was referring to the birds, but the same applies to my boys).
140
144149

Don’t worry, the flash on my camera was off.
143

The boys love walking through these plastic chains- it looks like the bird wants to join in.
161

I love the purple feathers.
164

Yuan & Yao are like me…they like to take lots of pictures.
168

Can you spot the humming bird by Clayton’s shirt?
171

I finally got some pictures of the birds in flight.
174
175

In case you can’t tell, the hummingbirds are my favorite part of this museum.
178

There were crazy amounts of butterflies out today.
188
Yao & Yuan were very impressed with the museum. Then we went & picked up Marlee from preschool & got Laun from work, so we could all go out to eat. 
196

3 comments:

Tippetts said...

Love the hummingbird pictures!

Manders said...

I LOVE that purple flower!

wittygal said...

Great pictures! How fun for them to experience the creepy of desert life. She is cute!