Thursday, April 24, 2014

rough day

Poor Carter, he is having a hip surgery today to try and get his left hip in socket, which is currently dislocated. He can’t nurse for 4 hours before surgery:(

cat iphone 098

At TMC ready to go.

 cat iphone 102

Cutest baby in a hospital gown award goes to Carter Mike Hall.  

cat iphone 108cat iphone 106

If the surgery works he will be in a body cast for around 12 weeks. I had to get plenty of pictures of his cute legs and toes just in case we don’t see them for awhile.

cat iphone 111cat iphone 118cat iphone 119

I adore his pudgy little feet.

094096

Carter loves when Laun holds him like this- superman.

082

It’s so hard as a parent to have your child go in for an operation.

084085091092

Poor baby, the doctor got caught up late in another surgery, so it’s been like 6 hours since he’s nursed last instead of 4 hours! Breaks my heart. He was sad, so I tried to pacify him with his binky.

cat iphone 113cat iphone 121098

They eventually got him some sugar water for his binky to be dipped in and that helped to console him. I’m amazed at how well he’s done even though he’s hungry.

101

Waiting around…

cat iphone 117cat iphone 141

We tried getting him to sleep as much as possible, so he wouldn’t know how hungry he was.

100cat iphone 135

They finally came in to say he was ready for surgery (by this time he hadn’t eaten for 6 1/2 hours. They wrote PH (the doctors initials) on his leg they were going to operate on.

cat iphone 136

I had all this stuff because they have you stay overnight.

cat iphone 143

Laun had to leave to start his cow study today, so I was alone while waiting for Carter in surgery, but thankfully Laun was able to return fairly quickly.

Now for the bad news…Dr. Henderson was in there for almost an hour when he came out to tell me it didn’t work. He cut the tendon and everything, but because Carter’s hip is so far off, he couldn’t get the hip lined up well enough to cast him. Laun and I were pretty devastated that Carter went through a surgery for nothing. Now he has to heal and isn’t even casted. It sounds strange, but I was actually hoping to see my baby in a body cast because that would mean the surgery worked and that Carter was on the way to having his hip fixed. I was pretty worked up when I got home and by the time Carter finally settled down from being out of surgery, he nursed. My poor baby went 8 hours without eating today! And now has a tendon to heal with no fix-ugh! I’m trying to have faith that maybe it was meant to be. Maybe him being a little older for the next surgery will benefit him in the long run. I am just glad that even though his hip is still out and looks like it’s going to have more problems than I realized, that he is a healthy baby. I should just be grateful. Overall, pretty crummy day. Thankfully, my mom was in town and was able to stay with our other children while we were with Carter man.

No comments: