Saturday, January 29, 2011

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Grandma Lucy came into town. We took her to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. We have only been there once before, years ago with our boys. This time we decided to get a membership. There are so many plants and animals to see, and the scenery is beautiful. There are lots of trails to go on, we walked for around 3 hours. Well, most of us walked, except for Marlee that is- she rode in a stroller for a good chunk of the time. It was the perfect day to go. The weather was great and there was even an art show going on; we saw some great paintings and drawings, and enjoyed some free appetizers and desserts. They had pot stickers, with what I believe was a prickly pear sauce, hmmm.....I am getting some ideas here.


There are lots of reptiles to see and Marlee got to ride in this groovy stroller. There are strollers, umbrellas, and sunscreen-all free to use. You have to return the strollers and umbrellas, but of course you keep the sunscreen:)


These lizards were huge.


The boys reading facts about insects, I think.



The views were awesome- tons of saguaro cactus to see.





Each kid got to see what they would look like as a bat with huge ears:




There was lots of cool rocks to see:








I like this face that Marlee makes:


The boys enjoyed checking out the sights.

You get to see what different animal prints look like.

There are fossils to dig for and you get to wear these hip goggles. Unless of course you are Clayton and you are too cool/big to wear things like that.



We got to see the mountain lion up close.


Marlee liked seeing the animals with her brothers.

There was lots and lots of walking.






Javelina sleeping:


We love Grandma Lucy.


You'll never guess, Marlee sucked her thumb and touched her belly button.


Porter got sick of walking and decided to kick it in the stroller for a bit.


Marlee walking through a tunnel, peeking out to see her daddy.


Groundhogs-I think.


Porter loved pushing Marlee in the stroller, he did pretty good, except when he almost ran into some bystanders.


Bighorn sheep


I loved the beaver, this is not an animal that I have seen very often. It was hard to get any decent pictures because of the thick glass.


Women and Men or more like girls and boys.



Handsome turtles:

Marlee liked pretending to be a turtle a little too much. Laun told her it was time to go, and she yelled,"I'm a turtle...roar!" Never heard a turtle roar before, but it fits, since the turtle was Marlee.


From the amount of humming bird photos I took, it is probably pretty obvious that this was one of my favorite parts of the museum.






Wish my back yard had all these cool plants.


It was a great day, besides the fact that I have a head cold or something annoying like that. I am excited that we have a year membership and can go more often. Except I don't think I would want to go there in the heat of the summer. Thanks for coming Lucy!

1 comment:

Tippetts said...

Very cool. Those hummingbird pictures are amazing!