Monday, September 2, 2013

escaping the heat

It’s Labor day, so no school! We took Lucy to Mt. Lemmon today. I love that we only have to drive 30 minutes from our house to enjoy cooler weather.

mt lemmon soccer 003

blooming flowers-

mt lemmon soccer 005mt lemmon soccer 006

I’ve been wanting to go on the ski lift for a long time now, so I was excited to finally get the chance. The boys are testing out a ski lift chair.

mt lemmon soccer 008

Before the ride Porter made friends with the local cat.

mt lemmon soccer 010

The ski lift ride is 15 minutes each way. We took it up and then got off to walk around before taking it down. Marlee wanted to sit by her dad of course.

mt lemmon soccer 012iphone Laun 120iphone Laun 123

Clayton and Porter switched off riding with Grandma Lucy and I.

mt lemmon soccer 022

It is a beautiful view.

mt lemmon soccer 028

Clayton and Lucy

mt lemmon soccer 037

Laun and Marlee

mt lemmon soccer 038

Getting off the ski lift.

iphone Laun 125mt lemmon soccer 064

Walking around on top.

mt lemmon soccer 067mt lemmon soccer 073mt lemmon soccer 074

cool bug

mt lemmon soccer 077

mt lemmon soccer 078mt lemmon soccer 081mt lemmon soccer 087

It was a little chilly up top.

mt lemmon soccer 088

Heading down on the ski lift.

mt lemmon soccer 092

Way in the back you can see Marlee and Laun and up close is Lucy and Porter.

mt lemmon soccer 094

This tree was struck by lighting…it’s cool how the bark is open in a twist around the tree.

mt lemmon soccer 105

I love these pictures of Lucy and Porter…

mt lemmon soccer 109

mt lemmon soccer 115mt lemmon soccer 133

I love how relaxed (or bored…not sure which)  Marlee and Laun look in this picture.

mt lemmon soccer 139

mt lemmon soccer 142

I love when Porter and Marlee get along and I actually catch it on camera.

mt lemmon soccer 147

The kids were way excited to pick out a treat in the candy shop.

mt lemmon soccer 149

I quickly snagged up some chewy sweet tarts, man I love those things.

mt lemmon soccer 150

Marlee had her eye on popcorn, since she watched many others go by on the ski lift eating popcorn. The boys picked out rock candy.

mt lemmon soccer 153

Then we drove on further and did some grape picking. 

mt lemmon soccer 156mt lemmon soccer 168mt lemmon soccer 170

The kids were pretty pumped to catch a butterfly.

mt lemmon soccer 171mt lemmon soccer 172mt lemmon soccer 173

And a cute little horny toad.

mt lemmon soccer 177

We stopped for some lunch.

I love these watermelon faces.

mt lemmon soccer 178mt lemmon soccer 180

The kids had fun wandering.

mt lemmon soccer 191

Laun took the sweet “microwave” he welded to grill us some steak.

mt lemmon soccer 182mt lemmon soccer 198mt lemmon soccer 200

Clayton was crazy excited to catch an alligator lizard, which he mistook for a snake at first. They run with their feet hidden under their body, so they look like a snake. 

mt lemmon soccer 202mt lemmon soccer 204

Then we picked more grapes.

mt lemmon soccer 206

We shoved our way into this grape plant and balanced on the weight of the plant. Yup, that is a camping chair Marlee is sitting on, which is just on top of a bunch of grape vines.

iphone Laun 128

Porter got as high as he could on the grape vines.

iphone Laun 130

iphone Laun 134

I love all the memories these kids are making.

iphone Laun 138

Then we went into Pepper Sauce Cave. It was so cool and our kids loved it. It’s really dark, so you have to use a flashlight the whole time. I wish we had pictures inside, but there’s some pretty small places to fit through and I was afraid of smashing the camera. Next time I’ll have to take in my cheap little camera. All these pictures are near the entrance.

mt lemmon soccer 219mt lemmon soccer 237

This is where you enter the cave.

mt lemmon soccer 239

That night the grape juice process began again. Lucy brought this nifty juice pot to use and luckily she’s taking home all of this batch because we certainly have plenty already.

iphone Laun 144

No comments: