Tuesday, February 26, 2013

healthy treats

Recently I’ve been trying to only eat sweets on the weekend, so I’ve been making some healthier treats during the week. I need my chocolate. One of my favorite recipe’s I’ve tried so far is from the blog Food Doodles & it is called Chocolate No-Bake Energy Bites (like no bake cookies, but healthier). We all love them & they satisfy my sweet tooth.

145

Chocolate No-Bake Energy Bites

makes 1 1/2-2 dozen depending on size

  • 1/2 C nut butter (I like almond butter or peanut butter)
  • 1/3 C honey
  • 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 C rolled oats
  • 3/4 C coconut (I like to do half coconut & the other half ground flax & ground almonds)
  • 1-2 tsp vanilla
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1/2 C add-ins (I like using nuts or chocolate chips)

In a medium sized pot over low heat, warm the nut butter and honey.  Once warm and liquefied, take off the heat and stir in the cocoa powder, vanilla and sea salt.  When combined, mix in the oats, coconut or other dry ingredients and the add-ins until completely combined.  Chill in the fridge until not warm anymore, then roll into bite sized balls.  If your mixture is too dry, just simply squeeze the balls together instead of rolling them.  Store at room temperature or in the fridge.

No comments: